To start with, I decided to paint the letter, using the smallest paint brush I could find - not on purpose, it was just the only one immediately available! Poster paint is nice and thick, but paper mâché is very absorbent, and with my little paint brush, I had to do several coats before I started to get the matte white effect I was after. Next time, I will use a bigger brush and, perhaps, get a little pot of enamel paint.
The linen ribbon was frayed along the edges, so I trimmed it a little and then applied PVA glue to the letter in three long lines, sticking down the ribbon as I went along. PVA glue sticks well ... But .... It shows through fabric, so if you use it, be prepared for some creative covering up!
As you can see, as I worked, my black and white plan became pink, with black and white! A sort of pretty candy effect.